DNA Extraction and Gel Analysis Prelab
Pre-Lab Exercise: DNA Extraction and Gel Analysis Lab
Complete the following exercise by answering the questions in a Microsoft Word document. Print and hand in this exercise at the beginning of the DNA Extraction Lab. It will count as the quiz for the DNA Extraction Lab.
DNA EXTRACTION FROM PLANTS AND ANIMALS
- Is it easier to extract DNA from a cheek cell or a fruit cell? Why?
DNA LOCATION & RELEASE
- Make a rough diagram showing all the barriers (membranes and walls) that need to be broken down in order to release DNA.
- Label each membrane or wall.
- Draw an X where the DNA should be found.
- What do we use to degrade these barriers?
- Explain how the substances above degrade the barriers.
- What are the 3 steps for extracting DNA from a plant cell?
- Which step would be skipped if we extracted DNA from a chicken liver? Why?
STRUCTURE OF CELL MEMBRANES
- Find in a reference book (biology) or online a representation of a phospholipid bilayer. Indicate and Label the lipid molecules and the proteins.
- Why do we use soap? salt? alcohol?
- Why do we use restriction enzymes?
- Name two factors that affect activity of enzymes.
- What is a palindrome? Why is that term related to this experiment?
- Why does the DNA molecule migrate through the gel?
- What is DNA sequencing?
- How can it be used in forensics?
IMPORTANT! How long did it take you to complete this pre-lab?